Forbes has released the NBA franchise valuations for 2020 with a league-wide increase of 14 percent from 2019 to an average of $2.12 billion. NFL valuations have increased 11 percent and Major League Baseball has increased eight percent.
The NBA generated a combined $8.8 billion in revenue last season, which was up 10 percent over the previous season. Gate receipts are projected to increase eight percent overall in 19-20 as the Golden State Warriors opened a new arena while renovations were completed in Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Washington.
The New York Knicks are the NBA's most valuable team for the fifth straight season and have increased by 15 percent to $4.6 billion, followed by the Los Angeles Lakers at $4.4 billion and the Golden State Warriors at $4.3 billion.
1. New York Knicks: $4.6 billion (+15%)
2. Los Angeles Lakers: $4.4 billion (+19%)
3. Golden State Warriors: $4.3 billion (+23%)
4. Chicago Bulls: $3.2 billion (+10%)
5. Boston Celtics: $3.1 billion (+11%)
6. Los Angeles Clippers: $2.6 billion (+18%)
7. Brooklyn Nets: $2.5 billion (+6%)
8. Houston Rockets: $2.475 billion (+8%)
9. Dallas Mavericks: $2.4 billion (+7%)
10. Toronto Raptors: $2.1 billion (+25%)
11. Philadelphia 76ers: $2.0 billion (+21%)
12. Miami Heat: $1.95 billion (+11%)
13. Portland Trail Blazers: $1.85 billion (+16%)
14. San Antonio Spurs: $1.8 billion (+11%)
15. Sacramento Kings: $1.75 billion (+13%)
16. Washington Wizards: $1.775 billion (+13%)
17. Phoenix Suns: $1.625 billion (+8%)
18. Denver Nuggets: $1.6 billion (+16%)
19. Milwaukee Bucks: $1.58 billion (+17%)
20. Oklahoma City Thunder: $1.575 billion (+7%)
21. Utah Jazz: $1.55 billion (+9%)
22. Indiana Pacers: $1.525 billion (+9%)
23. Atlanta Hawks: $1.52 billion (+17%)
24. Cleveland Cavaliers: $1.51 (+18%)
25. Charlotte Hornets: $1.5 billion (+20%)
26. Detroit Pistons: $1.45 billion (+14%)
27. Orlando Magic: $1.43 billion (+8%)
28. Minnesota Timberwolves: $1.375 billion (+9%)
29. New Orleans Pelicans: $1.35 billion (+11%)
30. Memphis Grizzlies: $1.3 billion (+8%)
David Stern was instrumental in the NBA's efforts to eliminate expressions of homophobia in basketball and changing the narrative on HIV/AIDS.
A look at 5 games, LAC/OKC, SAS/CHA, GSW/DEN, TOR/PHX, and MIN/NOP.
We catch up on the news around the league, including how the latest injuries and signings affect the playoff race.
Then we go back and revisit our 2018 Crystal Ball episode where we made predictions for the NBA in 2020. How did we do? Well, our consensus NBA champion has the worst record in the NBA so.......
The NBA has sent a memo to teams recommending players utilize fist-bumps instead of fans and avoid taking items to autograph due to the coronavirus.
"The coronavirus remains a situation with the potential to change rapidly," the league told teams in the memo.
The NBA issued a statement to the AP, saying, "The health and safety of our employees, teams, players and fans is paramount. We are coordinating with our teams and consulting with the CDC and infectious disease specialists on the coronavirus and continue to monitor the situation closely."
Former Lakers Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram combined for 55 points, but Anthony Davis scored 46 to help the Lakers prevail 123-113 over the Pelicans.
Steve Ballmer is in "advanced negotiations" to purchase The Forum in Inglewood, California, from the Madison Square Group, league sources told Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN.
Ballmer and the Clippers are reportedly looking to build a stadium in the area.
"The Clippers continue to pursue plans to build a state-of-the-art, 18,000-seat basketball arena and entertainment complex in Inglewood and are currently working with the city to successfully complete the comprehensive Environmental Impact Report. We are examining every possible way to resolve our differences with Madison Square Garden Co. regarding our new arena," released the team in a statement.
MSG has been in a lengthy legal battle with Ballmer and the Clippers, alleging that Inglewood agreed to not promote competition to The Forum by helping the Clippers build a new stadium nearby.
MSG has three active lawsuits in the battle against the Clippers building a new stadium in Inglewood.
Sources say that a sale of The Forum is the path of least resistance for all sides involved, and that a sale is imminent.
NBA Finals Warriors vs. Raptors predictions, picks: Experts think Golden State will three-peat, torn...
Lakers' LeBron James earned his second Western Conference player of the week honor of the season for the week of Dec. 30 (his birthday) through Jan. 5.